0800 912 0487

mobile friendly: 0330 100 7438

Gas Safety – A Landlord’s Responsibilities

As a landlord it is quite likely that you will have gas coming into the property that you are renting out to one or more people. This gas could be used to cook with or provide heating.

Gas explosions can destroy a building

A gas explosion can prove devastating and costly

Hopefully, you will be complying with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998? This covers your responsibilities to ensure that gas flues, fittings and appliances are safely maintained for the protection of your tenants. After all, you would not want them to suffer carbon monoxide poisoning.

Accommodation covered by the above includes the likes of local authority housing, private landlords, housing associations and hostels. It also covers holiday properties being rented out such as cottages, boats and caravans, hotels, bed-sits and private houses/flats/bungalows.

Not only are you responsible for the appliances and flues but also you must ensure the pipework is well maintained. You must have the gas appliances serviced on a regular basis by an engineer that is Gas Safe registered.

Every 12 months a gas safety check must be undertaken of all the gas appliances and flues. Following such a check being carried out you have a period of 28 days in which to provide your tenant with a copy of the safety check. In the case of a brand new tenant this information must be provided to him or her prior to them taking up occupancy in your investment property. You must keep a copy of the gas safety record for a minimum period of 2 years.

It is also important that your tenant is aware of the action they should take following a gas emergency including where the gas should be turned off.

If a tenant were to bring in his or her own gas appliance to the property they are renting from you they are responsible for its maintenance but you are responsible for maintaining the pipework.

We hope that you have found the above informative.

Posted on: September 25th, 2014 by The Blog Team

LandlordInsure is owned by APB Media Ltd - an Introducer Appointed Representative of One-Sure Insurance Limited, which is authorised & regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under firm reference 447730. You may check this on the FCA's register by visiting the FCA's website, www.fca.org.uk/register/ or by calling 0800 111 6768.

* Take out an insurance policy through One-Sure Insurance Limited and if you find a cheaper Insurance quotation within 48 hours, subject to written proof being received that the Insurance quotation is on a like for like basis, One-Sure Insurance Limited will cancel the Insurance policy and issue you with a full refund.