0800 912 0487

mobile friendly: 0330 100 7438

What Responsibilities Does A Landlord Have?

Should you be considering entering into the property rental market as a landlord of a private residential property you need to be aware that there are a number of legal obligations that you must comply with. Many of these are designed to safeguard both you and the tenant.

Below, we highlight some of them: –

an electrical socket must be secured safely to the wall

You could not leave a socket like this in a tenanted property – Image credit: Matt Gibson.


You must keep the property, fixtures and fittings and the contents that you provide in a good state of repair. This is to ensure that the tenant has a safe environment in which to reside. For instance, if the carpet on the stairs were loose you would need to remedy the problem as this could prove dangerous as your tenant could trip over it and injure himself or herself. Things like drains and guttering need to be well maintained.

Sanitary ware has to be kept in good order. So, if the toilet pan were cracked causing it to leak, it would need to be replaced. If a tap were leaking it would need sorting out.

Heating systems must be in working order and well maintained. On an annual basis all gas appliances must be inspected by a Gas Safety Registered Engineer.

Fire Safety

Fire safety regulations must be adhered to such as making sure that escape routes are accessible to the tenant.
Any furniture that you make available in the property must be fire resistant. This includes items such as sofas, beds, pillows and cushions,

Electrical appliances

All electrical appliances such as cookers, kettles and washing machines must be safe to be used and in satisfactory working order. For instance, there should be no worn leads or live wires visible.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

The property should have been inspected by a suitably qualified person and an EPC issued, a copy of which should be given to every tenant.

Protecting Your Tenant’s Deposit

The deposit that your tenant has paid must be placed in a Tenancy Deposit Protection scheme.

Income Tax

Potentially, you may need to pay income tax on the rental income.

We hope that the above is of assistance.

Posted on: June 12th, 2014 by The Blog Team

LandlordInsure is owned by APB Media Ltd - an Introducer Appointed Representative of One-Sure Insurance Limited, which is authorised & regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under firm reference 447730. You may check this on the FCA's register by visiting the FCA's website, www.fca.org.uk/register/ or by calling 0800 111 6768.

* Take out an insurance policy through One-Sure Insurance Limited and if you find a cheaper Insurance quotation within 48 hours, subject to written proof being received that the Insurance quotation is on a like for like basis, One-Sure Insurance Limited will cancel the Insurance policy and issue you with a full refund.